Ruby for Newbie?!

Phil Tomson ptkwt at shell1.aracnet.com
Sat May 25 13:21:18 EDT 2002

In article <acemml$9ed$1 at hfc.pacific.net.hk>,
Scrumpy  <reply at in_newsgroup.tks> wrote:
>jason at jvoegele.com (Jason Voegele) wrote in
>news:91acf731.0205200939.41e89a8f at posting.google.com:
>
>> Scrumpy <reply at in_newsgroup.tks> wrote in message
>> news:<ac3maf$81p$2 at hfc.pacific.net.hk>...

>> There is also RDE (Ruby Development Environment) for Windows.  Just
>> recently, someone released a Ruby plugin for Eclipse, which is a
>> development environment written in Java, which runs on Linux and other
>> platforms.  Of course, you also have Emacs and vi. :)
>
>:-P

Well, I use gvim and it's great.  It has syntax colorization, indentation,
etc.

>>> 3/ GUI toolkits/libraries. My preference is towards using wxWindows.
>>> Python: wxPython, PyQt, PyGTK.
>>> RUBY:
>>
>> Ruby has FXRuby (FOX), RubyGnome (Gtk+), rbXPCOM (Mozilla XPToolkit),
>> Ruby/FLTK, Ruby/Qt, and Ruby/Tk.  More information at:
>>
>> http://www.rubyide.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GUIFrameworkProject/GUICompariso
>
>Very interesting! I'd never heard about some of those GUI toolkits like FOX
>and FLTK. Definitely worth investigating! I was surprised how good the
>reviewer made QT sound.

Both FOX and FLTK look very promising depending on your requirements.

>Ease of use, cross platform support and stability, licence and speed I
>guess are what I'd consider when choosing a GUI toolkit.
>

>Webware is here http://webware.sourceforge.net/
>
>I read that mod_ruby is not very stable. Do you have any experience using
>it?

I'm not a web programmer, so I can't give you a difinitive answer here:
check the comp.lang.ruby archives to be sure.  Seems to me that there was
a discussion a month or two back where some folks said they were using
mod_ruby successfully in production environments and that it is robust.

>>> Is there an 'offical' Ruby binary for Windows? It looks like there
>>> are three unofficial ones created using three different compilers!
>>
>> It depends on what you mean by 'official'.  The "de facto" official
>> Ruby binary for Windows is from "The Pragmatic Programmers", Dave
>> Thomas and Andrew Hunt.  You can find it here:
>>
>> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ruby/downloads/ruby-install.html
>>
>> This version is now built using Microsoft Visual C++.  Previous
>> version were built with gcc/cygwin.  Windows binaries built with VC++,
>> gcc/cygwin, and mingw are all available for download.  You can also
>> download the source and build with any C compiler you'd like.
>
>Official as in it's a Matsumoto Yukihiro (or a sanctioned Ruby core
>developer) certified binary, preferably released on http://www.ruby-
>lang.org/en/download.html.

Matz readily admits that he isn't a Windows kind of guy - he prefers and
uses Linux.  So other folks tend to work on the Windows port(s).

>As per Python, the official Ruby Windows binary release would keep up to
>date with, at least, the stable Ruby source release.
>
>Unfortunately the status of Pragmatic Programmer's Windows binary is alpha.

Did you try installing it?  I'm also not a Windows person, but I recently
helped someone install Ruby (from RubyCentral) on their XP machine and I
must say that it all went very smoothly.  The SciTE editor that comes with
it seems to actually be pretty nice.

>>> Finally, is there a good Ruby book aimed at newbie programmers (not
>>> existing programmers new to Ruby)?
>>
>> It has not yet been released, but Pete McBreen, author of "Software
>> Craftmanship", is currently writing a Ruby book aimed at newbie
>> programmers.  Until this book is completed, the next best thing would
>> be Dave Thomas' and Andrew Hunt's "Programming Ruby", which is
>> available online at:
>>
>> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/
>
>I'd already looked at "Programming Ruby" in a local bookshop and found that
>it's not an entry level programming book :)
>
>Once it's available, I would like to see Pete McBreen's "Learn
>how to be a software developer" book. Hopefully it'll be very Ruby centric
>and available soon ;-)

As I said in a previous post, check out "Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 days",
it might be what you're looking for.

Phil