Zaurus and Python, a good combination

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Sun May 12 19:07:02 EDT 2002

> From: Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net>
>
> Thanks to the folks at Riverbank Computing you can download a Python
> interpreter that runs on the ARM and Linux based Sharp Zaurus PDA;
> Riverbank's web site at http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/zaurus/ is
> the place to go for this download. There ar also downloads for many
> Python librairies for the ARM.

<snip>

> The Zaurus also comes with a built-in JEDOE JVM in  order to make porting
> Java progrtasm eassy, and to make
> developing new Java bsed code for the Zaurus easy.Also, the Zaurus has
> its native  QT-based Qtopia environment.
>   I am trying to learn PyQt
> and Black Adder to make GUI programs for the Zaurus (although I don't
> know if or how hard it would be to port PyQt to the machine?) But even on
> the command line, Python shines in my opinion.
>
> So, if anyone is looking for new realms to conquer with their Python
> skills, I heartily recommend the Sharp Zaurus.
>
> I don't know if PyQt programs can be turned into ipkg files, that are
> automatically installable on the Zaurus, but I suspect with work they
> might be.

The Riverbank Computing folks have already ported PyQt to the
Zaurus

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/download/PyQt/

I've already written a couple PyQt programs for personal use on my
Zaurus with it. This was my first use of Qt (used Motif years ago and
GTK more recently). So far I still like GTK better, but I don't know
Qt well enough yet to make much of a judgment.

One thing I have noticed is that the Zaurus "mouse button" doesn't
seem to generate PyQt signals - I'm going to mail Phil at River Bank
and see if this is a known issue. Other than that it works quite well.

> Ron Stephens
> http://www.awaretek.com

Dave