OT: mail-news gateway question

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon May 6 11:34:11 EDT 2002

In article <ab41gs$btu$1 at panix3.panix.com>, Aahz wrote:

> Moderation *may* be involved, and e-mail is always involved
> when there's moderation (modulo spam and some other special
> cases), but a gateway is in-and-of-itself no indicator of
> moderation.

If a group is moderated, where does the e-mail happen?

I had assumed it was in the newsreader (e.g. slrn), but it
doesn't look like that's the case.  I don't think the
newsreader actually has access to the required info.  Is it the
news server software (whatever's at the other end of the NNTP
connection) that checks to see if a group is moderated and send
the e-mail?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Let me do my TRIBUTE
                                  at               to FISHNET STOCKINGS...