'for every' and 'for any'

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed May 29 22:20:04 EDT 2002

quinn at regurgitate.ugcs.caltech.edu (Quinn Dunkan) writes:
> Um, customizing your workstation is only going to cause problems for other
> people if they use your account.  I'm hoping they don't do that?  No one can
> use my wacky setup but they don't need to because I log out when I'm done.

Other people use my account when we are sitting at the machine together.

> Of the hard-to-maintain code I've looked at, it's always been not enough
> abstraction, rather than too much.

I've seen quite a bit of both.  Code that's either not abstract enough
or too abstract can be ten times the size of the ideal code; modifying
a 20 000 line program is a lot harder than modifying a 2 000 line
program that does the same thing.

> People who are used to C and Pascal seem to be especially used to
> reinventing common operations, probably because non-polymorphic
> static languages make it hard to write generic anything.

When I work in C, it's usually for one of two reasons:
1. I feel like reinventing the wheel for fun, so I do.
2. I need (or, anyway, want) the performance, so I tend to reinvent
common operations so they're optimized for my application.