string module

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 12:13:02 EDT 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:

>> So indeed, since I'm loading readline at the interactive prompt, there's an
>> under the hood resetting of the locale. Ah, the beauty of perl-like silent,
>> implicit global changes ;)
>
> Now trying playing with signals at the interactive prompt[1]
> <wink/frown>.  I wouldn't want to live without readline, but sometimes
> I do wish it wouldn't bugger around with stuff my application cares
> about so much.

Agreed. There's not much I can do about readline (I'm not going to rewrite the
whole thing!) but I did rewrite a lot of rlcompleter and other things which
import readline (like pdb) just so they wouldn't muck around globally so
much! In that sense rlcompleter is very poorly designed: there should be an
explicit need to call a global initializer so that submodules which import it
don't damage your global readline namespace handling (like pdb does).

Oh well, one of these days I'll have to wrap all these things as patches and
send them in.

f.