Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed May 1 22:14:26 EDT 2002

>> * Something that encourages a different style of thinking.  [Lisp]

In that catagory, I would suggest PostScript.  Most people just think of it
as a way to talk to printers.  What they don't realize is that it's a real
programming language, with sophisticated flow control, data structures,
I/O, and memory management (in addition to the graphics and typography
support you would expect).

Now, granted, I wouldn't want to use it as a general purpose programming
language, but if your goal is to expose yourself to different ways of
thinking about programming, PostScript is certainly worth exploring.  And,
it starts with a "P" :-)