Choose Your Own Adventure

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun May 5 18:01:12 EDT 2002

Philipp Lenssen wrote:

> Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, or CYOA, is the common term used all around
> the
> web and in newsgroups to title this type of game. Google returns about
> 14,900 matches to this phrase, and I suppose only some are referring
> anything trademarked. If it's a crime then this alone is no moral
> argument
> in my favor, but a very pragmatic one -- if anybody's sued, then they
> will
> have to take on a whole lot of people.

It is true that trademarked terms that come into household usage will
lose their trademark after litigation.  This, however, has not happened
with "Choose Your Own Adventure" (at least not to my knowledge).  But do
you really want to be the one to litigate this issue?  Wouldn't it be
easier to choose something that is free of trademark violation issues?

/  \ Who'd ever think it / Such a squalid little ending
\__/ The American and Florence, _Chess_
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.