Backwards emulation rather than backwards compatibility?

Antaeus Feldspar feldspar at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 25 09:13:40 EDT 2002

I've seen both sides of the compatibility debate.  "You're breaking my
scripts!" vs. "You're holding back the language!" and I can understand
both sides.  While I do not think there is a perfect solution, I was
struck the other day by a possible way to bridge the gap.

Could the python interpreter be equipped with a mode that would allow it
to emulate past interpreters?  Thus, if someone needed access to a
script that was designed for 1.5.2, they could pass a "--1.5.2" argument
to the interpreter and have it run under 1.5.2's rules; more to the
point, if a script's author wanted to be sure that their script could
run on anything from 1.5.2 to 2.3, they could do it all with a single
interpreter, rather than have to have a separate interpreter for
checking each compatibility.

	-jc