Creating C modules for Python under Cygwin

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon May 6 05:02:48 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> That has nothing to do with the DLL - vs - EXE choice, as far as I can
> see, and everything to do with the choice of NAME for the executable
> module you package Python's functionality into.  If you named the EXE
> PYTHON22.EXE and so on, you'd be "forcing extensions module" just as
> much; vice versa, if you named the DLL PYTHON.DLL you would not be
> forcing those modules to commit.  It's not about the extension:-),
> it's about the filename.

Right. However, I believe that the DLL name contains the Python
version so that multiple simultaneous Python installations are
possible, especially when the Python DLL is put into the system
directory.

With python.exe, this would not be that much of a problem: there is no
additional file (a pythonxy.dll) to be loaded that must match the
version of the executable; all extensions would then be subject to the
PYTHON_API_VERSION check.

Regards,
Martin