Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

David J. Ritchie ritchie at fnal.gov
Thu May 9 18:05:27 EDT 2002

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> Aahz, I don't get it why you're insisting on this. Would "refactoring"
> ring any bells?
>
> Yes, I do it myself, and yes, it's a non-issue with vim.
>
> Gerhard

In any case, I am reluctant to drag everyone through my imperfect
programming practices as useful as I find them....my main point was that
if context sensitivity is considered to be a difficulty in understandability
in programming languages (of which Perl has some) then (in the spirit
of being able to argue both sides of the question as a way of proving
that one has thought through the issues), it seems that Python has a
context sensitivity difficulty in the area of the treatment of tabs
as identifying blocks of code.

I agree that one can address the matter with suitable editor functionality.

--
David J. Ritchie
ritchie at fnal.gov
http://home.fnal.gov/~ritchie/