how to list elements line by line?

John Hunter jdhunter at nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri May 17 17:34:10 EDT 2002

>>>>> "magni2k" == magni2k  <magni2k at uni.de> writes:

    magni2k> Hi, I have a problem. How can I list all the elements in
    magni2k> my serverlist.txt seperate. That means line by line! So
    magni2k> that I can call for example: List only the Hostnames! And
    magni2k> on the other hand that I can call for example: List
    magni2k> only the 1st Hostname, then the 2nd and so on! (If its
    magni2k> possible with the sys.argv argument!)  Anybody an idea

# This lists the lines one by one
fh = open('somefile.txt')
for line in fh.readlines():
   print line,

# This prints the 3rd line
lines = open('somefile.txt').readlines()
print lines[2]

For the record, the syntactical element to end sentences in English is
the period.

Tschuss,
John Hunter