Python stagnating?

Chris chrisl_ak at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 18:19:27 EDT 2002

1) My experience with the PHP docs is that the user comments are, by and
large, quite useful. You always have the option not to view them by viewing
one of the standard HTML versions similar to the Python docs. Wikis are
cool (I use the emacs wiki occasionally), but I would prefer manual pages
linked to a wiki rather than the other way. Still, it is quite common for
the user comments, which generally explain how to do X or a more efficient
way to do Y, to answer a question more readily than the docs!

2) The navigation withing the PHP docs is better because you can get at
more from one page-- if I am looking at one file function, for instance,
all the rest of the file functions are immediately available. Rather than
up/up/find and link/back up/etc.

3) The URL trick is a nice little move that makes for an easy shortcut to
search.

4) PDF docs are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are nice as a reference
and a smart system generates all of these things from the same source
automatically anyway, so why not offer more than just what you or I like?

In all honesty, #2 is the most important for me, particularly as a
beginner. The Linuxdoc/LaTeX2HTML style is great when there is nothing
better available, but the "many many files, all of which have no links
other than left/right/up" method is not the most productive for many
applications.

Anyway, all this conversation makes it sound much more important than it
really is. I'll be buying a couple of books and using a few online
tutorials anyway. The most important point is that Python development is
not stagnating, my perspective was just skewed from a few broken links and
references to software (bobo, anyone?) that appears to no longer exist and
obsolete resources.

Tough crowd here :)