encoding problem CP850 to ISO_8859_9

P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 15:22:45 EDT 2002

"v.wehren" <v.wehren at home.nl> escribió en el mensaje
news:Dk7H8.30288$48.2266391 at zwoll1.home.nl...
> My brain must habe been switched off or something...
> Muchos gracias for switching it back on...
>

> (Just for the record: the supposed "missing" characters are apart from
in
> latin1also available in iso_8859_15)

Yes, you are right. I forgot to mention that ISO-8859-15 is a patched
version of ISO-8859-1 that includes the Euro currency sign instead of
the old currency sign and other extra characters used in
not-so-central-european languages[1] replacing such characters as
brokenbar, most accent characters and the fraction symbols. The
reference sites for the glyph tables are http://www.unicode.org/ in the
vendor encoding equivalence tables section, http://www.czyborra.com/ and
the website for the Titus project (a repository for classic western
languages and the Titus Cyberbit font. I don't have the URI for the
latter anywhere close right now).

[1] The differences are:

38,48c31
< decoding_map = codecs.make_identity_dict(range(256))
< decoding_map.update({
<       0x00a4: 0x20ac, #       EURO SIGN
<       0x00a6: 0x0160, #       LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON
<       0x00a8: 0x0161, #       LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON
<       0x00b4: 0x017d, #       LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON
<       0x00b8: 0x017e, #       LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON
<       0x00bc: 0x0152, #       LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE OE
<       0x00bd: 0x0153, #       LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE
<       0x00be: 0x0178, #       LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS
< })