Newbie: finding the key/index of the min/max element

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed May 1 18:15:58 EDT 2002

James J. Besemer <jb at cascade-sys.com> wrote:

> Laura Creighton wrote:

>> JB wrote:
>> > The term derrives from the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, the Communist rebels who
>> > fought against the US-installed conservative Somoza dictatorship (and others).
>> >
>> > The suffix is sometimes used to refere to any contrarian group, and in cases
>> > simply any group.
>>
>> That is simple ignorant American narrow-minded foolishness talking.
>> Normally, I would take extreme great care to not say anything so
>> offensive, but I have a deep suspcion that James J Besemer is one
>> of the 'can't take the heat' folks, and will learn to like a kinder
>> and gentler place than the one he proposes to make for Raymond Hettinger
>> if he finds out what it is like to live in the place he proposed.

> I'm truly sorry that my sincere attempt to answer what I thought was a simple
> question caused you to resort to open hostility.  I am truly impressed by your
> vicisousness.

Hey, I've heard there was this Python Secret Underground, a vile
conspiracy to control Pythondom and then the universe *itself*.
Until forever! Now that's viscious.

And it's only simple ignorant American narrow-minded foolishness talking
to just assume all Americans are in a group and therefore are collectively
foolish and ignorant and narrow-minded! And Laura isn't even American,
impressive how broad that group of Americans is!

Anyway, I wonder why Laura is wasting her time flaming in a newsgroup
while there are so many better things to do. Like arguing with topmind
about the benefits of object oriented programming, for instance.

Anyway, I might've used the sandinista explanation, before I heard all
these Spanish and Italian and Canadian people go on about some weird
suffix. Everybody knows Dutch is the preferred natural language for
Python programmers, anyway (those who don't are ignorant american narrow-minded
fools, no matter what nationality you are). Though I prefer 'pythoneer',
which is its own weird suffix, and it comes from French; another latin
language, just like Canadian!

And Pythoneer is a much less inflammatory word than Pythonista, it
must be inherently superior and it's due for a major comeback.

Pythoneer-and-proud-of-it-ly yours,

Martijn