Comments

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Wed May 8 12:20:42 EDT 2002

On 08-May-2002 Mark McEahern wrote:
> [Rajat Chopra]
>> Does anyone know if Python supports multi-line comments? I believe Java
>> and C++ (and even non-ANSI C)  have /* ... */ for multi-line. Does Python
>> have anything comparable?
>
> Short answer:  No.
>
> Long answer:
>
> Use the triple-quoted string; e.g.,
>
>   def add(x, y):
>     """Return the sum of x and y."""
>
>     """
>     Note:  The first string in a method is considered the docstring.
>     This here
>     is effectively
>     a multi-line
>     comment.
>     Fancy, neh?
>     """
>     return x + y

Sure, but comments are basically free whereas the above creates an anonmymous
string which has to be garbage collected.

Most scripting languages only support single line comments (usually with #).

/*
 * I am ANSI C, hear me fly!
 * and FLY!
 */

is not all that different from

# blah
# blah
# blah

if you need the visual difference, use 2 #'s.

## blah
## blah
## blah