Rationals and Linear Programming in Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon May 13 18:37:09 EDT 2002

Noah wrote:
> I'm more interested in a pure Python type. The Gmpy docs say
> that it has this, so far so good. Do you know if it will work

?  gmpy is a wrapper over the GMP library, which in turn is
implemented in C or assembler.  Don't know exactly what you
mean by "a pure Python type", but if you mean a type entirely
coded in Python, gmpy doesn't have any, and I'd appreciate it
if you could point out to me what part of the docs misleadingly
gave that impression, thanks.

> with the matrix type in Numerical Python?

I don't think LinearAlgebra.inverse can invert any matrix with
typecode 'O', though I may be wrong on that -- but if I'm not
wrong, then there's rigorously nothing that gmpy can do about it.

Is that what you mean?

Alex