Comment on Draft Pep ver 4 -- Psuedo Deprecations of Builtins

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Wed May 1 21:51:06 EDT 2002

Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote:
>On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 05:37:31PM +0000, Huaiyu Zhu wrote:
>> The example above was only meant to show that what John wanted can be
>> achieved without apply.  But of course apply does more than that.
>
>What "more" does apply do?  Is this not a complete implementation of
>'apply' that works in any recent version of Python?

I should have said that named apply can be used more conveniently in many
places than the f(*a, **b) syntax.  In one of my projects apply is an object
getting passed around, together with objects with names like deepapply,
mapapply, etc.  But of course one can always define apply if an extra
function call is not a problem (it is not a problem in my case).

Huaiyu