Python <-> Jython communication

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat May 11 04:43:03 EDT 2002

Derek Thomson wrote:
>> Corba           : sounds good, but have NO experience in it, lots of work
>
> Since I went to some trouble to make sure Fnorb
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fnorb), works on Jython (*) , I'm going
> to say this is the answer. It's not actually that difficult. You specify
> your interface in an interface definition language (IDL), then implement
> a server that supports the defined operation calls. Take a look in
> examples/hello-world in the Python CVS tree, and I think you'll see that
> it's not hard. Python makes it a *lot* easier than CORBA C++ examples
> would make you think it will be.

*VERY* good point! For example,

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81254

has an example of Corba-with-Python which really highlights how simple
Python makes Corba -- the example is given for omniORBpy but I would
hope that doing it in Fnorb (or, half and half to highlight the degree
of interoperability that Corba guarantees!) should be just as easy.

Alex