python dustribution on Suse 8.0

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun May 12 06:42:07 EDT 2002

"vincent wehren" <v.wehren at home.nl> writes on Thu, 9 May 2002 21:15:36 +0200:
> Does ayone have experience with the distribution of Python on Suse 8.0?
> I there really no IDLE available o at least on of the 7 (!) install CD's ?
> If so,  what is the best way to get IDLE up and running, especially since
> the Tkinter distrubution from Suse 8.0 gives me somewhat of a headache!
My experience with the Python distribution in SuSE 7.3 was:

  best to forget about it.

It turned out to be about 40 per cent slower than one compiled from sources
(12 k PyStones rather than 17.5 k).

Additional python related packages (e.g. LDAP) have been old.

If you need it for daily operation, build you own versions.

Dieter