Python program distribution revisited

Mark C mchalkley at notthispart.direcway.com
Fri May 31 18:36:53 EDT 2002

Python availability on "standard" Windows installations would sure be
nice, but I don't expect that in the next 5 years unless Python takes
off a whole lot faster than Perl has.  Not that it isn't possible,
though...

Perl is still not available "by default".  I distribute Perl
applications by using ActiveState's PerlApp.  It allows you to create an
exe that's about 450k with everything it needs in one file.
Alternatively, if you're installing several apps, you can include a
single 650k dll and each exe will be 120k or so in size, depending, of
course on how complicated the app is.

All in all, ActiveState's approach is very convenient, works well, and
is easy for both the developer and the end-user to use.

Mark

In article <XjpJ8.48983$%u2.28695 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>,
sholden at holdenweb.com says...