OT: Crazy Programming

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue May 14 23:52:42 EDT 2002

> > This is exactly right, and it is an important point.  As long as programs
> > continue to be essentially "hand-crafted", we will never be able to build
> > reliable large systems.  Only when programming ceases to be art and moves
> > into the realm of engineering -- like building a bridge or a building --
> > will we get the reliability that we really need in order to create the
> > large systems that the twenty-first century demands.

You appear to have mistaken Art for Handicrafts.  All things which are
designed are Arts.  Being an art (or being a craft for that matter) has
nothing to do with whether something is unreliable.  There is a great
deal of prejudice between 'Artists who hate Technology' and 'Technologists
who hate Art', but at the top level of the profession -- you do both.

Laura Creighton