newbie - SOAP.py sockets and localhost?

Gordon Scott gordon.scott at peregrine.com
Mon May 13 11:29:06 EDT 2002

Newbie here with a question I hope someone can answer.

I was playing around with SOAP.py and the echoClient/echoServer demos.
Running them on one machine ran fine, running them on two different machines
yielded a '111, Connection Refused' error.

I searched on python.org and google and found a post with the same problem I

was having, but no resolution.

Playing around a bit more I finally got it to work.  In order to do so I had
to change the address for the server from 'localhost' to the currently
assigned
IP address from the DHCP server.

My question is, why should I have had to specifically state the IP instead
of
localhost?  Shouldn't localhost have bound the socket to whatever my current
IP
address is?

Btw, running python 2.1.2 on Win2k for both machines.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Gordon.