Best book for python?

Stefan Schwarzer s.schwarzer at ndh.net
Wed May 15 09:36:00 EDT 2002

Hello Mark

Mark Nenadov wrote:
> > I need to get up to speed on python so am looking for a book.
> > Quite a few at amazon to choose from.
> > Any recommendations?
>
> I would recommend "Programming Python 2nd Edition" by O'Reilly.

I consider "Programming Python" a great book but would like to point
out that IMHO it is not the right choice to learn Python initially.
This _might_ work after reading the tutorial in the Python distribution
but I would still recommend an introductory book as "Learning Python"
first.

The disadvantage of most Python books that they still deal with version
1.5.2 can be remedied somewhat by Andrew Kuchling's fine series
"What's new in Python x?":

http://www.amk.ca/python/2.0/
http://www.amk.ca/python/2.1/
http://www.amk.ca/python/2.2/