Is python really slow?

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at nortelnetworks.com_.nospam
Wed May 22 09:26:23 EDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002 22:08:34 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> As others have noted, Python is the same speed as Perl, and the
> use of C comes more from the desire to integrate with other
> software than from a need for improving on Python's speed.

    Hmm. I love Python, but I have not found it as fast as Perl. It seems to
run about the speed of Tcl 8.3, but Perl seems to leave it in the dust, as
least for the comparisons that I've done.
    One of those was generating prime numbers, so it was highly CPU intensive
operations. The Python and Tcl versions were about the same speed. The Perl
was roughly 50-100% faster.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier, QX41, SKY  Tel: 613-765-4699 (ESN: 39-54699)
Optical Networks, Nortel Networks, SDE Pegasus