Tkinter and FreeBSD

Lee Harr missive at frontiernet.net
Fri May 10 22:57:43 EDT 2002

> I have a slight problem. I am unable to get Tkinter to work under FreeBSD
> 4.5. I updated all the ports needed for Python and Tkinter, and
> installed them all, but I am unable to get IDLE or any Tkinter item to
> work.It wont even install Tkinter I don't think, because I tried to
> import Tkinter and Python says it doesn't exist.

Do you have more than one version of python installed on your
system? Take a look in
/usr/local/lib/
and see if maybe you have maybe
python2.1
python2.2

It's possible that the port installed tkinter in to your
2.1 install, but your default python is 2.2 (take a look
at the sizes of the files when you do:
ls -l /usr/local/bin/python*
Whichever one you have 2 of is your default.)

Try your tkinter code using the other python and see if
it works.