which db should I use?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon May 13 00:01:02 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 22:11, Jim Richardson wrote:
> I have a project that I want to do with python. It involves a database
> table with  some 100,000 rows, total size about 400MB and climbing. I
> will be adding about 700 rows a day, and occasionally want to do a
> query, but only occasionally. (I am putting all the posts from an active
> newsgroup in to a db for data gathering, and to learn python and sql
> stuff) But I don't know which db module would work better for me?I am
> running this on a linux box, and cross platform is not a big deal, I am
> looking at both postgres and mysql. Since I have 0 experience with
> either one especially in context of interfacing with python. I'd like
> suggestions please.

I think they'll both be fine.  MySQL has less of the more complex
features that Postgres has, sub-selects and other such things, that are
considered important for powerful and robust database use.

MySQL is a bit quicker.  I might recommend it for your use, as it's good
at being a fast, structured data store, which is kind of what you are
describing.  One of the key-value databases, like the databases that
anydbm support, might be faster, but I don't think much -- and your
custom-programmed queries on those databases are likely to be much
slower.

OTOH, if you are looking to learn SQL, Postgres offers a more complete
implementation, and would be a better place to learn.

  Ian