python-friendly web hosts: buyer beware

Rob Andrews rob
Thu May 23 19:24:30 EDT 2002

>> (http://valueweb.net/products/enterprise_hosting.html proudly
>> advertises Python as an "Advanced Feature" of their $299.00/month
>> Enterprise Hosting package.)
>
> For that amount of money, you would be much better going to iServer
> (now part of viaVerio). From about a third of that price you get your

Useless Python uses a pretty inexpensive hosting package. I just felt it
was a little extreme for them to advertise such a dated Python installation
in their $300/month package when they turn out to be more than a little
ambivalent about keeping the software up-to-date.

Who knows? They might yet do the customer-friendly thing and look into the
matter at Valueweb, since I sent them what I hope was a fairly thoughtful
email about the situation. (No inflammatory rhetoric, insults, etc.)

But I am glad to see people responding to my post with information about
positive hosting experiences. Before Useless moved to the new server and
began the overhaul process the beginnings of a list of python-friendly
organizations was already in place. That's temporarily down while I prepare
a more fitting section devoted to the matter. (Just a personal quest of
mine as a python evangelist of sorts.) The more good information there is
to build up that part of the site with, the better.

Rob