Whats so good about Python?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue May 7 20:11:53 EDT 2002

In article <8580b02e.0205071527.5b6ce52f at posting.google.com>,
BHE <usawargamer at yahoo.com> wrote:

>My question is:  What does Python offer me over Perl?  I dont use
>object oriented Perl (which I consider innapropriate) and dont want a
>hackers approach.

If it's the syntax of OOP Perl that bothers you, you'll like Python.
Rather than selling you on Python, though, I suggest that you try the
on-line tutorial, which should take you a day or two to work through:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

>If Python is a superior languiage thats here to stay, and a better
>language than Perl I'll consider learning it.  I use Perl for
>scripting, file manipulation, database retrieveal and stuffing, report
>generation.

Python can handle all that.

See me at OSCON!  I'm teaching Python for [Perl] Programmers, a fast intro
for all experienced programmers (not just Perl).  Early bird ends June 10.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/