Upper memory limit

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue May 14 18:25:24 EDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002 19:15:36 +0200, Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote:
[...]
>I cannot comprehend the following: As I wrote, I call 8 times the same
>function, and it is interesting to observe that the first call to the
>function takes about 10-15 minutes, the second call also 10-15minutes,
>but the successive calls become always longer and longer; after 4 hours
>I am at my 6. call and still waiting.

Wow. Are you sure you're not just making time to study for another degree? ;-)

Seriously, one might suspect you have rolled your own library of matrix operations
using lists of lists as matrix representations, and then crunching on huge
measurement sequences with numbers stored as strings and converted every time
they're used, to estimate monster state vectors and covariance matrices etc.,
and maybe iterating on top of that to make something nonlinear converge?

What can be taking so much time? Have you identified your hottest
loops? What kind of algorithms are you using, and on how much data
of what kind?

>I have to underline that I do not use any object oriented programming
>technique (I assume you meant this when you write "self"). I use simple
>functions. Okay I have to admit that I make heavy use of the following
>scheme:
>
>def f(list,list2):
>	erg = []
>	for k in range( len(list) ):
>		erg.append( function_on_list2( list2[j] ) )
>	return erg

It's not clear to me what k and j do in that, but you know about map, right?
(print map.__doc__ if not).

BTW, 'list' is a builtin keyword, so it's not a good choice of variable name.

>I find the above very readable (and often better in style than Numeric's
>idiosyncrasy).

Well, you have a bigger context in your head, I'm sure ;-)

>I hope I can make the transition to Linux in the next few month (hoping
>that the installation on my laptop will succeed).

Probably a pretty good bet that it will.

Regards,
Bengt Richter