expect

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue May 14 16:53:14 EDT 2002

In article <abrq2p$ad0$1 at netnews.upenn.edu>,
Samantha <sollinge at mail1.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>I want to automate downloading some info from the web that requires me to fill out a form using javascript. I believe expect is the answer, and I downloaded and installed a .deb package. Now I need some sort of a tutorial that tells me something more on the usage of this module. Doing this:
>['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '_expect', 'popen', 'popen2', 'popen3']
>
>shows me very few options that I can use. Is anyone aware of any sort of tutorial online that might help me?
			.
			.
			.
No.

Expect is not the answer.

The approach I take is to inspect the JavaScript source
"by hand", and resolve the information there to an HTTP
request; this is, with one exception probably not perti-
nent to the current discussion, always achievable.

There are, in principle, several technical alternatives
to this, some of which involve licensed software.  Let
me know if you prefer to pursue these.

Expect, though, does *not* help you achieve what you want.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net