string module

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 12:48:23 EDT 2002

holger krekel wrote:

>> > My current development version (requires readline :-) is here:
>> >
>> >      http://home.trillke.net/~hpk/rlcompleter2.py
>> >
>> > just import it on a pure python installation (with readline available)
>> > and play around :-)
>>
>> Wow, that's a peice of work!
>
> thanks! it's even better if you apply the one-liner readline-patch 558432 on
> sourceforge :-)

By the way Holger, have you submitted this patch to the main python-dev
people? I _hate_ the normal readline behavior which forces me to backspace
every time, I just didn't know fixing it was this simple. But C things that
don't become part of the standard distro get ignored by 99% of people, since
that is the 99% which doesn't build its own python. For pure python modules
it's easier to distribute a replacement, but sine this is a C patch I hope it
becomes part of the standard distribution.

I'll test the rlcompleter2/ipython merge as soon as I can.

Cheers,