Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu May 9 18:50:59 EDT 2002

Quoth "David J. Ritchie" <ritchie at fnal.gov>:
| But of course the point is that if you didn't quite do it just exactly
| right, but left whatever block delimiters the language had in place,
| it would not have a disastrous effect on the execution logic.

Right, there's a difference between rewriting and reformatting,
even if the keystrokes are the same.

| Again, it's great that Python forces you to get the indentation
| right but it does mean that there is a sensitivity to context in the way
| things are interpreted.

But this I'm not sure I see.  Since I don't know Perl, I don't know
what they mean by context sensitivity, but what we're talking about
here - block structure - is more or less common to programming languages
in general, isn't it?  And I don't see how block structure changes the
meaning or interpretation of the statements inside the structure.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu