Tkinter Configuration

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Mon May 13 13:00:21 EDT 2002

Bohr, Mike wrote:
> I've got S.u.S.E. Linux 7.3 Personal. I've only installed Python 2.2.1 .

Unfortunately, I don't know about the SuSe distro... Are the Tcl/Tk
libraries installed by default? Their names are libtcl<something>.so and
libtk<something>.so; They're usually installed in /usr/lib or
/usr/local/lib. Please make sure you have them, and get their actual names.

Did you compile your Python interpreter yourself? If not, do you know how
to do it? You will have to do it to be able to include the Tkinter support
in your Python interpreter.

If you have, just go to the Modules directory under the root installation
of the Python sources. Edit the "Setup" file and locate the lines
concerning the "_tkinter" module (just search for "_tkinter"). You just
have to uncomment/edit the lines for this module, regenerate the makefile
in the top directory ("make Makefile") and re-compile ("make"). The
comments for these lines should be explicit enough. If they aren't, I'll be
glad to help.

HTH. Good luck!
--
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at pragmadev.com> -