High performance Python web-app

François Lepoutrre francois.lepoutre at seriatim.com
Mon May 13 09:38:16 EDT 2002

Hi,

We have the same problem here (:

Running a "persistent-python" http application
on a win32 platform, fast....

Python is a brilliant tool when it comes to
build http production routines. On linux!

There are clearly working and speedy platforms
to run heavy-duty python-based http: *nix.
It looks like mod_python is the current
"lean thing" to accelerate http here.

Our customers are win32 shops. And so far
the situation on Windows is far from brilliant:

1) it looks like fastcgi is not workable there.
2) mod_python/apache 1.3 on win32 looks like the
best solution but it is comparably much slower to
its linux counterpart and a bit leaky.

possibly win32 is the issue not mod_python.

In the end, on win32 you have:
- apache 1.3/mod_python (a bit leaky but workable),
- apache 1.3/webware
(great but not as fast and a distinct
sophisticated programming style with no direct
translation for mod_python-based stuff)
 - xitami 2.5/lrwp
(very fast but unable to output binary stuff
as far as we could test and possibly
less secure - not apache by the way).

Hope to find a solution as well.

I may be wrong but i have the feeling that
the python/win32 community is in need of a
fast and supported solution in this area.

Francis