Building Python on Cray T3E

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 13 04:20:20 EDT 2002

"Mark Hadfield" <m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz> writes:

> OK, so once I have something working, how can I get my findings into
> the installation notes and/or build process?

Submit patches to sf, most likely.

I've been occasionally to-and-froing with Kalle Svensson about Cray
support, but as he's not sure he's actually got a working Python yet
I've been reluctant to make changes to the core.

> Eg. can the configure script be persuaded to turn off static linking
> on this platform?

I don't think so.  This is arguably a limitation of the current build
procedure, but hacking the build system is such a vile job that
noone's too keen to do it.  I'm certainly not.

> How do I get the _sre patch into the source?

SF again, most likely.  I'd just check it in, but /F owns the sre
code, so it would probably be best to run any changes past him first.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Considering that this thread is completely on-topic in the way only
  c.l.py threads can be, I think I can say that you should replace