Windows python 2.2.1 IDLE glitch - unittest output display nothing

Andy Bulka abulka at netspace.net.au
Sat May 25 09:52:41 EDT 2002

When running a script using CTRL-F5 under IDLE under windows 2000,
python 2.2.1 I find that unittests run but the resulting stderr output
does not appear at all?  For example:

import unittest, random

class TestCase00(unittest.TestCase):
    def checkA(self):
        assert 1
    def checkB(self):
        assert 0

def suite():
    suite1 = unittest.makeSuite(TestCase00,'check')
    alltests = unittest.TestSuite( (suite1,) )
    return alltests

def main():
    runner = unittest.TextTestRunner(descriptions=0, verbosity=2
    runner.run( suite() )

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print 'Gonna run some tests...'
    main()

It's as if stderr is 'lost' somewhere.  This problem does not appear
under linux 2.2.1c - only windows (I can reproduce this problem under
two versions of windows 2000.)

All my scripts with unittests thus cannot be tested using CTRL-F5 (Run
Script), which is pretty serious.  What is going on?

IDLE under the previous version python 2.1.3 works fine, as do
versions 2.1.3 & 2.2.1 of activestate pythonwin (work fine, that is).
All versions of IDLEfork 0.8.1 work ok too.  Its only the standard
IDLE with the latest python 2.2.1 under windows has this problem.

-Andy Bulka
www.atug.com/andypatterns