Making Programs Executable

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu May 30 11:45:44 EDT 2002

"David Lees" <debl2nopeSpammywhammy at bellatlantic.net> wrote (in the wrong
order, but we'll forgive his top-posting this once) ...

> seraphim wrote:
> >
> > I am reading the Python tutorial, and they say to use '#! /usr/bin/env
> > python' as the first line to be able to execute the program withought
> > having to type 'python file'. I am getting a bad interpreter error. I
> > am running Slackware 8.0 and Red Hat 7.3 as well. Any help would be
> > nice.

> You might want to check path to your python interpreter.  Try 'which
> python' .  Perhaps you don't have the correct path.

He certainly has the correct path to "env". The whole point of that
construct is to avoid the need to know the path to the Python interpreter.

regards
 Steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/