Building Python on Cray T3E

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz
Fri May 10 00:25:38 EDT 2002

Like several others before me I am trying to build Python on a Cray
T3E. My first attempt with 2.2.1 failed so I searched Google for "Cray
T3E group:comp.lang.python" and found several threads, including a
couple from mid-2001 on problems with Unicode. Following the advice in
this message...

http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&selm=j4lmkqdi7d.fsf%40informatik.hu-
berlin.de

...I ran configure with "--enable-unicode=ucs4". But make stops with
the following error:

  cc -DNDEBUG -O -I. -I./Include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./Modules/_sre.c
  -o Modules/_sre.o

  CC-147 cc: ERROR File = ./Modules/_sre.c, Line = 1791
    Declaration is incompatible with "int join(char *, char *)"
   (declared at line 300 of "/usr/include/unistd.h").

      join(PyObject* list, PyObject* pattern)
      ^

  Total errors detected in ./Modules/_sre.c: 1

I'm out of my depth here. Any suggestions?

--
Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha et tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)