gdchart-py Compiling Problems on HP-UX

Brian brian at rt.net
Wed May 29 14:02:12 EDT 2002

I'm trying to get gdchart-py 0.6 running on my server under HP-UX
10.20, and have had no luck so far.

I downloaded the sources for gdchart-py 0.6, libpng 1.2.3, zlib 1.1.4,
and GNU make 3.79.1. Making zlib with the default makefile seemed to
work just fine. Doing a "make test" on libpng (using a copy of
makefile.hpux with only the ZLIBLIB, ZLIBINC and prefix variables
changed as appropriate) also seems to work fine. When I do a "make
install", however, I get the error 'ld: Invalid loader fixup for
symbol "$00000016".'

I found what appeared to be an old version of libpng already in one of
our library directories, so I decided to skip compiling libpng and go
straight to gdchart-py. I made progress when I got it using the new
GNU make instead of the default make we have on our system (making GNU
make also went through without a problem). While in the
gdchart-py-0.6/gd-1.8.4 directory, however, I get stuck with a bunch
of errors that look like
as: "/var/tmp/cca13823.s", line 187: warning 36: Use of %fr9R is
incorrect for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/cca13823.s", line 220: error 1052: Directive name not
recognized - PARAM
There are about 20 "warning 36" lines for every "error 1052" line. The
make process finally dies with:
make[1]: *** [gd.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gdchart-py/gdchart-py-0.6/gd-1.8.4'
make: *** [gd-1.8.4/libgd.a] Error 2

I cannot seem to progress beyond this point. I am pretty new to the
complexities of compiling large programs like this and any help with
this process would be greatly appreciated. I'm also not above taking
the easy path -- If anybody could pass along precompiled binaries for
gdchart-py 0.6 and libpng 1.2.3 on HP-UX 10.20 that would be ideal.

Finally, we're going to be moving the whole system to HP-UX 11 in a
month or two. Will the same binaries work on the new system, or will I
have to (attempt) recompiling them all over again?

Thanks in advance,
-- Brian