sgmllib too slow

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue May 7 14:13:32 EDT 2002

On Tue, 07 May 2002 03:09:44 -0400, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

>> Not sure what "the whole thing" is, but Fredrik Lundh has rewritten
>> sgmllib as a C module, named sgmlop. This is now included regularly in
>> PyXML, as xml.parsers.sgmlop. It has two modes of operation: SGML and
>> XML, and it is really fast.
>
> also available as a separate distribution, from here:
>
>     http://effbot.org/downloads/
>
> </F>

I added the sgmllib.py and xmllib.py modules to setup.py, but distutils
puts them in site-packages by default - where they fail to override the
standard versions.  What is the recommended way to make distutils
override a standard python package with a drop-in replacement such this?

Here is the setup.py from the sgmlop package above:

setup(
    name="sgmlop",
    version="1.1a2",
    author="Fredrik Lundh",
    author_email="fredrik at pythonware.com",
    description="SGMLOP -- a small and fast SGML/XML parser",
    url="http://www.pythonware.com/products/xmltoolkit/",
    py_modules=["sgmllib","xmllib"],
    ext_modules = [
        Extension("sgmlop", ["sgmlop.c"])
        ]
    )

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>
"Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - Mozart background