cross platform method of accessing a running process

Seth Russell seth at robustai.net
Tue May 21 16:26:45 EDT 2002

"Geoff Gerrietts" <geoff at gerrietts.net> wrote in message
> Quoting Seth Russell (seth at robustai.net):
> > I want to have a python process always running on my machine, but allow
cgi
> > processes to come in and access that process.  How do I do this in a
manner
> > that will work on all platforms ?  What python modules will support
this?

> I might be wrong (don't think I am), but I believe the only way to do
> this in a truly cross-platform manner is to do it via sockets. You
> open a socket in your long-running process and accept requests. The
> SocketServer module is one of your choices.
>
> Some higher-level protocols, like FastCGI, exist. You may find that
> FastCGI, or something like XML-RPC, allows you to do the sorts of
> things you're looking to do without having to invent a whole protocol
> for information exchange. You might also check into Pyro and Twisted;
> those frameworks provide some functionality overlapping with what
> you're interested in.
>
> More details on what you want will naturally increase the quality of
> the answers you receive.

Thanks for your informative reply ... it got me thinking in the right
direction.  I ended up making a http server class based on the standard
BaseHTTPServer.  Hopefully this will end up being a semantic web
client\server.

Anybody want to help ...
http://robustai.net/mentography/httpBot.py

Seth Russell