Multibyte Character Surport for Python

Sigvaldi Eggertsson sigvald at binet.is
Wed May 15 15:32:43 EDT 2002

"Emile van Sebille" <emile at fenx.com> wrote in message news:<7LrE8.23991$L76.1842 at rwcrnsc53>...
> Sigvaldi Eggertsson
> > Emile van Sebille
> > > Or like Iceland, which rightly sets the blame at Bill Gates'
>  doorstep.  ;-)
> > >
>  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/technology/html98/icel_063098.html
> >
> > When the article was published it was already out of date, Microsoft
> > put out an Icelandic version of Windows 98 just after this was
> > written.
>
> My apologies.  Out of curiosity, do you know if it is still policy in
> Iceland to keep foreign words out?

It´s never been policy (If someone told an Icelander how he should
talk, he would ignore it) but the language being the way it is,
foreign words seem out of place so people try to use Icelandic words,
foreign or new words that fit into the system of the language.
When we use computers we mostly use english however (the Icelandic
version of windows did not sell much)

Sigvaldi