'for every' and 'for any'

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Thu May 30 08:26:47 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:09:39AM +1000, Delaney, Timothy wrote:
> > From: Oren Tirosh [mailto:oren-py-l at hishome.net]
> >
> > I don't have a personal utility library. It's on purpose. I don't have
> > personalized key bindings. I try to avoid customization.
> > Customization is
> > a big part of what makes one programmer's code difficult to
> > maintain by
> > another programmer, what makes on programmers's workstation
> > unusable by
> > another and makes combining code from several sources difficult.
>
> What? You mean you write everything from scratch every time? Guess you don't
> use any third-party libraries either. Oh - and I guess you don't use modules
> - everything must be in a single file.

Aww... leave that poor little strawman alone. Sure, I have code I have
collected over the years for various specific purposes and I reuse code
written by others.  What I don't have is a personal library with lots of
unrelated little tricks and idiosyncracies of questionable value that might
make me feel a bit more comfortable but only makes the code feel alien when
it's read by someone else.

For some reason, reading Python code almost always feels familiar
regardless of who wrote that code. This is definitely not true of C, C++
or Perl.

	Oren