Creating C modules for Python under Cygwin

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon May 6 21:24:28 EDT 2002

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:
>

>>That has nothing to do with the DLL - vs - EXE choice, as far as I can
>>see, and everything to do with the choice of NAME for the executable
>>module you package Python's functionality into.  If you named the EXE
>>PYTHON22.EXE and so on, you'd be "forcing extensions module" just as
>>much; vice versa, if you named the DLL PYTHON.DLL you would not be
>>forcing those modules to commit.  It's not about the extension:-),
>>it's about the filename.
>

> Right. However, I believe that the DLL name contains the Python
> version so that multiple simultaneous Python installations are
> possible, especially when the Python DLL is put into the system
> directory.

Exactly.  And the DLL is in the system directory so arbitary processes
can use Python (ie, COM).

So it is simply a trade-off with pros and cons.  In some ways you could
see it as the competing interests of "Python extenders" versus "Python
programmers".  For the casual Python programmer, allowing multiple
Python versions, and indeed allowing arbitary COM objects to use
arbitary Python versions is a good thing.  For the Python extender,
having one extension module that works everywhere would be a dream.

Now if all those lazy, good for nothing extension authors would just get
off their fat arses and release versions for every Python version in use
the instant they are released, there would not be a problem <wink>

Mark.