2.2.1 build fails on linux

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed May 22 05:55:56 EDT 2002

"Whitney Williams" <whitney at pk3i.com> writes:

> I cannot build a working 2.2.1 installation, and wondered if anyone else had
> encountered this problem (and found  a workaround)...
>
> whitney at freaky:~/src/Python-2.2.1$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4/specs
> Configured with:
> ../gcc-3.0.4/configure --with--gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-threads
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.0.4
>
> creating build/temp.linux-i686-2.2
> gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I. -I/home/whitney/src/
> Python-2.2.1/./Include -I/usr/local/include -IInclude/ -c
> /home/whitney/src/Python-2.2.1/Modules/structmodule.c -o
> build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/structmodule.o
> creating build/lib.linux-i686-2.2
> gcc -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/structmodule.o -L/usr/local/lib -o
> build/lib.linux-i686-2.2/struct.so
> WARNING: removing "struct" since importing it failed

What you probably need to do is execute the commands by hand that
build the struct module and try importing it to find the error (this
is easier in cvs python as instead of removing the broken module it
renames it to, in this case, struct_failed.so).

You'll probably find that your gcc installation is broken, at a
guess... maybe you're compiling with a gcc 3.0 setup, but the dynamic
linker expects 2.95 or something.

> I see this has been happening with somwe Solaris installations.

That's usually a bust openssl installation.

> I have always been to successfully build python in the past.

With gcc 3.0.4?

Cheers,
M.

--
  I'm a keen cyclist and I stop at red lights.  Those who don't need
  hitting with a great big slapping machine.