Floating point issues

Jarno J Virtanen jajvirta at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu May 30 16:32:28 EDT 2002

Thu, 30 May 2002 14:22:47 GMT Michael Hudson wrote:

> Read this:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.1/tut/node14.html
>
> (the fact that I can type this URL from memory should be some
> indication that you could have answered your query yourself with a
> little effort).

I don't know whether people read the Python Tutorial at all (I hope and
believe they do), but I think this floating point issue should be
mentioned in the text itself as an example with a reference to the
appendix for more information.  My gut feeling is that typically one
first reads and tries out the basic stuff from for example the tutorial
and the 0.10000000000000001 stuff comes as a total surprise, which
initiates the common posts on the subject. So in my opinion at least
the Python Tutorial could come straight on this right from beginning.

(I did provide a patch for that in the sf tracker (I hope I did it the
right way etc.), but there hasn't been any comments on it, so I assume
it's either stupid idea or no one hasn't had time to become aware it's a
stupid idea <wink>.)