OT: Crazy Programming

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed May 15 18:24:08 EDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002 13:17:19 -0400
Christopher Encapera wrote:

> lol!  If she has, she has not let me in on the betrayal! (that would be so
> 'artsy fartsy' of her:)  On a more serious note, I do subscribe to that old
> fashioned notion of the hierarchy of value, which recognizes that some
> things, some philosophies, even some cultures & art are better than others.
> While Willie Nelson's 'blue eyes cryin in the rain' might not be Mozart, it
> is vastly superior (in every respect) to say, the rapper of the week (or
> that "modern art" that sits in front of county hall).  And that ain't no
> personal opinion - that is objective truth - the very foundation of the
> universe, the ground of all being and meaning, agrees with this evaluation
> (i.e. it is objective truth!).  Indeed what is arrogant is that philosophy
> so popular these days that everything is relative - that there can be no
> (other than subjective) evaluation of right and wrong, good and bad, art
> and, well, bad art - it is an arrogant relativism gone wild :)  But none of
> this has much to do with that honorable, high art of programming python, and
> will be my last laugh - I mean post - on the matter ;)

I'm reminded of the Smith's "Hang the DJ":

"because the music he constantly plays / says nothing to _me_ about _my_ life"
[emphasis added]

There can never be an "objective" view of art.  It either speaks to you or it
doesn't, but that is entirely subjective (unless of course you can prove that a
particular piece speaks to no one).

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)