OT: off-topic

Ben Wolfson wolfson at uchicago.edu
Thu May 23 01:18:22 EDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:08:57 -0500, Greg Ewing wrote:

> Why stop at a Python-specific solution? Off-topic
> postings are a problem in all newsgroups, so I
> propose a single group:
>
>    news.off-topic
>
> for all off-topic posts on any subject. The only
> trouble is that, in that group, off-topic posts
> would be *on* topic, and therefore not suitable
> for news.off-topic... excuse me, my brain is
> about to explode...

A better solution is news.on-topic, which has the quality that whatever
is posted there is on-topic no matter what it is.  That way, whenever
someone makes an off-topic post in a newsgroup, he or she can be directed
to news.on-topic, where there will doubtlessly be some like-minded
conversants.

--
BTR
BEN WOLFSON HAS RUINED ROCK MUSIC FOR A GENERATION