Pythonwin and makepy problems

Joseph Toman toman at cyber-dyne.com
Fri May 17 11:51:49 EDT 2002

How exactly does Pythonwin know how to tab complete an object in the
interpreter window? I've written a COM object which is registered and has a
typelib (OLB) file created. Then I start pythonwin and run makepy on the
object from there. When I look at the newly created "GUID".py file in gen_py
it looks like some dandy wrapper code, just what I would expect would be
there. But when I create this object using
win32com.client.Dispatch(ProgID), tab completion doesn't work on the
resultant object. This isn't such a big deal, except that the code I'm
using this object from depends on early binding to know whether an
interface has an interator on it and things like that.  This used to work
with a previous (2.0) version of python. Running makepy on Excel works
fine, and tab completion works on it. A toy COM object I wrote with the
same compiler works fine as well. Ideas?

Compiler: Borland C++ 5.01
Python : 2.2.1 win32 binary from python.org
Python COM : win32all146 from starship

                                                J. Toman