Upper memory limit

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Tue May 14 14:02:51 EDT 2002

Michael Gilfix wrote:

> > def f(list,list2):
> >       erg = []
> >       for k in range( len(list) ):
> >               erg.append( function_on_list2( list2[j] ) )
> >       return erg
>
>   There's a bug in this though. it should be 'list2[k]', not 'j'.
> Perhaps that's your side-effect?

Sorry for the typo. My intention was only to show some of my general
programming behavior. I cannot post the Python code (it is likely that
it has surfaced the 1000 LOC; for me this is huge). The above code --
except for the demonstration-- has not any relevance.

I dare to say that I can remember a strange behavior of Common Lisp on
my stationary machine. On my laptop a specific calculation took about
30min; the same calculation on my stationary machine (Pentium III, 128MB
RAM) took over 2 hours (note: normally my Celeron 1000 MHz is twice as
fast as the Pentium III 450 MHz). At this time I thought my hard disc is
scattered and I commanded our sys-admin to cure the situation and he
installed a new Windows NT. I then never used Lisp on my stationary
machine (I use it from time to time on my laptop; but I do most of my
data evaluation with Python in the meantime).

But maybe you are right that the behavior is due to Windows itself. The
stationary machine has 128 MB RAM and the laptop has 256MB RAM. But the
laptop has quite a small cache 128K (due to Celeron I think ), but a
faster and more modern hard disc.

You mentioned "del": I tried it but it won't improve the situation.

>   Well, welcome to Linux :) But don't discard python on windows just yet.
> It usually does the job.

At the time of this writing I execute the Makefile in order to compile
Python. Hope it will succeed.

So and my calculation on my laptop is about  to hit the 200MB
threshold...

Regards,
Siegfried Gonzi